Custom Search

Pages

Monday, July 19, 2010

Baked Coconut Tofu Bites

Honestly, I feel like these had potential, but I didn't like them. So, please let me know if you have any suggestions to make this better.  I wish they had been crispier on the outside.  I'll tell you what I did, and you can tell me how I should change the recipe for next time:

Ingredients:
1 package of firm tofu, drained and cubed
Lots of unsweetened macaroon coconut (grated coconut)
1 tablespoon of soy sauce (I like Kikkoman because it's flavorful and doesn't have sugar or too much salt)
1 tablespoon of cooking wine (I used Sherry, but it's such a small amount that it probably wasn't even necessary)
1 tablespoon of maple syrup (I used cheapo pancake syrup that was a million times removed from real maple syrup)
1 tablespoon of tahini (seasame oil paste stuff.  You can use regular nut oil, or even peanut butter)
1 teaspoon of hot pepper powder (or you can use red pepper flakes)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 (or maybe higher to make them crispier)
2. Drain the water off the tofu, then wrap it in paper towels and squish out more water.  Cut it into small cubes. 


2.  Mix up all the ingredients (except the tofu and the coconut)
3.  Dip the cubes in the mix then roll in coconut and place on an ungreased baking sheet (I put a sheet of aluminum foil on the tray for easy cleanup)


4. Bake until golden brown (at least 25 minutes, maybe 35 would be better)


I even tried dipping some in BBQ sauce instead of doing the whole coconut thing, but the texture still wasn't right, so I give a thumbs down to this recipe.  Thought I'd share just the same!  Let me know if you have any success with it.  It sounds good and it looks good, but it just wasn't crispy enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment