Custom Search

Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Freezer Waffles (or Pancakes!)

Sunday mornings are so relaxing for me. All throughout the week, I get up early to either get to work super early, or to workout and then get to work early. On Saturdays my mom and I always go out for coffee and then to Yard sales when the weather is nice. Sundays are the day when I can sleep until I wake up, lounge in bed lazily until I feel like getting up, then I drink tea until I feel like doing something else. Sometimes I get the urge to cook a nice breakfast, and this recipe is perfect for a Sunday morning breakfast. It doesn't take that long to make, but it's not something I'd feel like bothering with on a weekday. The cool part is that you can make this whenever you feel like it, then freeze the waffles so that you can have them whenever you want. They freeze just as well as the frozen waffles you buy at the store, except these are more delicious, you can customize with the ingredients that you like, and they're much cheaper.





Here's what you need:

Boxed pancake mix (you can make your own if you want, but the box is easier)

Milk and eggs (if your box mix calls for it. I usually get the box mix that does not have milk and eggs because I add vegan alternatives like almond milk and applesauce)

Whatever mix-ins and toppings you'd like!



If you have a waffle maker (we do, and we LOVE it!!!!), you can use that. Otherwise, you can simply make pancakes. Make the mix according to the directions on the box, then you can add fruit (frozen blueberries, strawberries, banana, etc), nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts), coco powder, chocolate chips, peanut butter, whatever you want. I usually make several different kinds then freeze them in separate freezer storage bags. Last time I made cinnamon waffles, blueberry waffles, and waffles with coco powder.




To cook waffles, preheat the waffle maker, pour in about 1/4 batter per waffle, close the lid, and wait until the steam stops coming out (about 5 minutes). To cook pancakes, preheat a non-stick skillet at medium heat. You can use non-stick cooking spray to make sure the pancakes will come off easy. Pour the batter into the skillet and wait until the edges start to bubble and pop. Then, carefully flip it over with a spatula and cook the other side.



Eat them hot and fresh, or freeze them and pop one in the toaster when you want a delicious breakfast. You can also add in flax powder, protein powder, wheat germ, or other ingredients for added nutrition. You can have lots of fun with this recipe. Let me know what your favorite ingredient combinations are!



Here's a link to some cheap waffle makers on Amazon.com. Mine makes 4 at a time, and it wasn't very expensive. If you want to make extra waffles to freeze, I highly recommend a waffle maker that makes 4 at a time.

Here's one of the best deals I found:              







...and here's a more expensive one, but it makes cute heart shaped waffles (5 at a time!)   

No comments:

Post a Comment